“you can only have an employee TIN once hired by your employer.”

So, you have landed a job and you are being required to submit your TIN, isn’t it? Foremost, congratulations. If it’s your very first job, here’s twice the well wishes to you.

TIN registration for employees
source: www.forbes.com

Now, try to hold the tendency to become excited with all the tasks before you. The first of which is complying with the requirements of HR or Accounting such as the TIN. You ought to have a TIN now. So, ask yourself, do you fill up a particular form and head off to the next RDO in sight? Wait, hold that thought. If you missed the blog post on TIN registration for students: Things you should know when applying for a TIN, I suggest you read it.

TIN Registration for Employees

If you don’t have a TIN yet, your employer will apply for a TIN for you once you are hired. You just need to submit an accomplished BIR Form No 1902 – Application for Registration to your HR or Accounting.

However, before you get all too excited to submit your form which simply declare that you don’t have a TIN yet, take careful thought and try to answer these:

ð       Have you been issued a government ID?
ð       Have you inherited a property?
ð       Were you a recipient of a significant donation in cash or in kind?
ð       Have you been employed part time?

If you said yes to any of these questions, then ask yourself if you were told to apply for a TIN and were issued one but couldn’t seem to remember. I would suggest you go to the process of due diligence to avoid violation on multiple TINs,  ask your parents or guardians.

How do you go about it?

If you already have a TIN, then, the next steps would be to apply for TIN registration update as your registration will now be using the address of your employer. This exercise is repeated every time you change employer:

    1. Get a copy of the BIR Form No 1905 – Application for Registration Information Update
    2. Print and accomplish the form:
      • indicate your TIN and name
      • under Part II –reasons for registration information update, tick item# K and indicate ‘change of employer’
      • under 4 –details of registration information update, item 4E – supply the  new RDO, new registered address and ZIP code – this should be the address of your new employer
    3. Submit the form to your HR or Accounting or to the RDO and should you choose this option, you may refer to Transfer of Registration of Local Employees for more details.

If you are sure you have one but could not locate it, then, you can call the BIR Contact Center at (02) 981-8888 and inquire about your TIN. And while you’re at it, you can also inquire from them of your registered RDO.


But what if you’re planning on being your own boss? Then do tune in for the next blog post.

Meanwhile, how do you find your TIN experience? You may share it in the comments section.

“The way taxes are, you might as well marry for love.”
― Joe E. Lewis

(updated link 8/8)

Views – 13197

TIN Registration for Employees: Things you should know when applying for a TIN

3 thoughts on “TIN Registration for Employees: Things you should know when applying for a TIN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *