- Only one TIN is given to a tax registrant. Otherwise, a person possessing multiple TINs is violating an NIRC provision and will be subject to sanction , see bullet #3 at the back of your TIN card. So be mindful and memorize your TIN once you have one.
- You are married to your TIN FOR LIFE and your union is irrevocable until death. You don’t need to apply for another if you already have one, unless you’re a dead multi-millionaire or you died with small fortune, which is another topic altogether.
TIN Registration for Students
If you’re a student and you don’t have any means aside from allowances from your parents, you might ask, what does a student need a TIN for? Well, if you have scrimped enough savings from your allowance to put up a savings account in a bank, or if you want to apply for a student driver’s license, or if you are beyond 21 years old, no longer a qualified dependent, and your parents want to get you a Philhealth card then it’s about time for you to have a TIN.
One of the biggest challenges of a TIN registrant is knowing where to get their TIN. More often than not, they go straight to the nearest BIR Office (Revenue District Office or RDO for short) and end up being redirected to another distant RDO which can be pretty disappointing, especially for a student or a new graduate or a freelancer running on a tight budget or schedule. Such experiences are subject of many email threads and blogs for quite some time.
But, have you ever wondered why this is so? Plainly because each RDO caters only to taxpayers within their respective jurisdictions.
So, before packing up and heading to the next RDO in sight to apply for a TIN, i would suggest you do take note of the following:
ð Check your address first and then visit this link: http://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/contact-us/directory/revenue-district-offices.html. You will find the list of RDOs, their addresses and contact numbers, as well as their respective areas of jurisdiction. Now this can be pretty tricky as there are certain areas that are further sub-divided, such as Quezon City which is divided into North, South and Cubao, as well as Makati which is divided into North, South, East and West. In any case, be sure to call the RDO first or the BIR Contact Center (02) 981-8888, to inquire about your rightful RDO so as not to waste time, money or effort.
ð Print and accomplish the form, make sure your name and date of birth are the same with that in your birth certificate or if female and married, supported by marriage contract
ð Head to the RDO and take with you the accomplished form together with your birth certificate or any ID card showing your name, address and birth date, and marriage contract (if married). You may refer to this link, for more details: http://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/registration-requirements/primary-registration/application-for-tin.html#persons
Release of TIN
The BIR’s Citizen Charter states that under normal circumstances, it takes 21 minutes to process a TIN application under BIR Form 1904. However, I take this to mean ideal circumstance. If you’re planning on going anytime soon, it would be wise to bring your favourite tabloid or book, some comfort food, water and lots of patience with you.
- Apply for a TIN on lean time and not during tax filing deadlines.
- Sign your BIR issued TIN card with a non-smear pen, paste your latest photo and have it neatly laminated to serve as an ID.
- Print this, PERSONS REGISTERING UNDER E.O. 98 (securing a TIN to be able to transact with any government office, e.g. LTO, NBI, DFA, etc.), and present to the RDO when necessary.
Finally, you have been issued your TIN! But wait, what if you want to apply for a TIN as a prerequisite to job hiring? then you have to stay tuned for the next post.
Meanwhile, do you like to share your TIN experience? You may do so in the comments section.
“Taxes grow without rain.”
(updated link 8/8)
Views – 17752